Updates and information for the 2019-2020 remote learning period
We hope that you are all doing well, staying healthy, and keeping focused on the future as you deal with the present. We miss you!
Updated May 1: Unfortunately, our Senior Ceremonies honoring graduating seniors from our four campuses won’t be held in person this year. Governor DeWine has mentioned graduation ceremonies, but the latest guidance from the Governor’s Office and the Ohio Department of Education makes it clear that the prohibition on mass gatherings of more than 10 people remains in place.
Rather than look at activities that limit the size of the group to less than 10 including school staff, our hope instead is to do a memorable virtual ceremony that honors our students and allows their entire family to experience it at the same time. We’ll include student speeches, pictures from the year, and recognition of all our graduating students in a high-quality video event.
The ceremonies will be released simultaneously on Facebook, YouTube, and the Great Oaks website one week later than the originally scheduled ceremonies, on these dates and times:
Laurel Oaks Monday, May 18 6:30 pm
Diamond Oaks Monday, May 18 8:00 pm
Scarlet Oaks Tuesday, May 19 7:00 pm
Live Oaks Thursday, May 21 7:00 pm
We know that a big in-person celebration would be the best option; our hope is that this virtual event will be the next best thing. Watching our students succeed and show that they’re ready for the future is one of our favorite activities, so we understand how difficult it is for students and families to end their time at Great Oaks without a physical ceremony. We encourage watch parties, welcome Facebook comments during the ceremonies, and hope that families will help make this a great experience for the class of 2020.
Grades for the fourth quarter
Final grades for this year will be an average of the four quarters as usual. We will calculate the final grade for fourth quarter in a different way due to our alternative way of providing instruction. For this year only, fourth quarter grades will be primarily based on effort and engagement, so it’s important that students continue to work hard and stay focused on their education even while at home.
Career-Technical Assurance Guide (CTAG) college credit classes
The Chancellor of the Ohio Department of Higher Education has approved a temporary change to Ohio’s articulation and transfer policy so that student course grades can be used in lieu of the traditional end-of-course WebXam assessments. This change is in effect for all students enrolled in a career-technical education course in the 2019-2020 academic year and may be extended further, depending on future actions taken in response to COVID-19.
For the 2019-2020 school year, the following rules will be used as the alternative to calculate WebXam scores for all students enrolled in a career-technical education course for the spring of 2020:
- Advanced score: A grade of A in the career-technical education course will equate to an Advanced score on the WebXam
- Proficient score: A grade of B or C (or a “Pass” if graded on a Pass/Fail scale) in the career-technical education course will equate to a Proficient score on the WebXam
- Not proficient: A grade of D or F (or a “Fails” if graded on a Pass/Fail scale) will equate to a Not Proficient score on the WebXam.
Student and parent resources during the school closure
As we all look forward to returning to school and preparing for future success together, here are some resources for studies and daily life.
Links for Great Oaks courses and materials
Food resources for students
Study and remote learning tips
Places to visit, virtually
Resources for mental health
- National Institute of Mental Health: Coping with traumatic events
- How to support your child's health and well-being during Ohio's school closure
- Campus mental health partners:
- Diamond Oaks: Children’s Home of Cincinnati
- Laurel Oaks: Solutions Community Counseling and Recovery Center
- Live Oaks: Child Focus
- Scarlet Oaks: Lighthouse Youth Services
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Psychiatric Intake Response Center (PIRC)
Dealing with COVID-19
- Checklists for responding to COVID-19
- State of Ohio resources and programs
- Coping with coronavirus anxiety
- How to homeschool during the coronavirus crisis
- Other information about COVID-19