Start your career in law enforcement. The Great Oaks’ Police Academy offers over 600 hours of police training under the direction of a State Certified Police Academy Commander. Students are eligible to earn the Ohio Peace Officer Certificate which is the gateway to inclusion in a class of individuals who are sought by many police recruiters.
Students must pass the Physical Fitness Standards test and the State Written Examination to be eligible for certification in Ohio.
This program is accredited by OPOTA, Ohio Peace Officers Training Academy and North Central Association.
In this program you can earn college credit! Click here to learn more. (Note: When checking available cedit, choose "Select all" under colleges and universities)
Job Outlook: According to the Department of Labor, “Job opportunities in most local police departments will be excellent for qualified individuals. Employment of police and detectives is expected to grow 11% over the 2006-16 decade. Overall opportunities in local departments will be excellent for individuals who meet the psychological, personal and physical qualifications.”
According to the Department of Labor, “Police and sheriff’s patrol officers had median annual earnings of $47,460 in May 2006. The middle 50% earned between $35,600 and $59,880.”
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid driver’s license
- Achieve a Work Keys assessment level of (4)* or higher
- * Reading for Information must be level (5)
- Have a physical performed by a physician, certified nurse practitioner, or physician assistant that states you can perform strenuous physical activity.
- Pass a physical conditioning assessment for sit-ups, push-ups, and 1.5 mile run.
- Good moral character as established by a criminal and traffic background check
- 21 years of age by completion of the course
- Free of any convictions for domestic violence, any felony of violence, or any felony involving the illegal use, possession, sale, administration, distribution or trafficking in a drug of abuse.
Ready to enroll?
Gainful Employment Disclosure
Please click here for information about tuition/fees, median loan debt and graduation/placement rates of students who completed this program.